Nov 3, 2013

Happy Birthday, Tatay!


I want to share with you a little post that I have on my Facebook page for my tatay's (father) birthday. As I've said there, he doesn't have a Facebook page nor would he be reading this, but still I was wanting to put into words what I have learned from my father all these years. And I quote:
"Today, I'm taking the time to talk a little about my father. Today is his birthday 


I am my father's daughter and I am proud to have him as my father. From him, I got my temper, my loud voice, my stubbornness and close-mindedness on some things. But from him, I also got my generous nature, my love for family, my passion for things, my being inquisitive, my open-mindedness on most things, and the hunger for details. 

My father does not really tell us anything in words about friendship and family, but his actions speak louder than words for me. I learned from my father the value of friendship, I saw from him how to be giving to people who are in need, saw him go beyond what is expected to help family and friends. I saw how he would give to friends and family when there's barely anything left for us, because they need it more than us or just because he wants to give. For my father, when you're a friend, you're a friend for life. 

From my father, I learned how to be grateful for things I have and for people around me who makes my life happier and easier and who makes my world a better place to live in. I learned from him what utang na loob means. He does not easily forget people who have helped him in any way they can, and so do I. There are some people (like former bosses, friends, and family) that I love to pieces because they're like my father who gives without receiving anything in return and helps even without being asked. My father is so giving that he finds it difficult to understand why people wouldn't help when he knows they can, sometimes it hurts him deeply. 

Lessons of love, friendship, gratitude, passion for life, pagiging makulit -- that's what I got from my father. No material riches but wealth that money can't buy. 

Today is his birthday. He doesn't have Facebook, but I want to let everybody to know how special my father is. If he had finished high school and gone to college, he would have been an architect and engineer or even an inventor. heck, he made all our furniture, made his own electric stove and even an electric oven for Nanay. 

I wish my Tatay good health, and I wish many many many more years with him and Nanay. Tatay, happy birthday! We love you!
My father does not really tell us anything in words about friendship and family, but his actions speak louder than words for me. I learned from my father the value of friendship, I saw from him how to be giving to people who are in need, saw him go beyond what is expected to help family and friends. I saw how he would give to friends and family when there's barely anything left for us, because they need it more than us or just because he wants to give. For my father, when you're a friend, you're a friend for life. 
From my father, I learned how to be grateful for things I have and for people around me who makes my life happier and easier and who makes my world a better place to live in. I learned from him what utang na loob means. He does not easily forget people who have helped him in any way they can, and so do I. There are some people (like former bosses, friends, and family) that I love to pieces because they're like my father who gives without receiving anything in return and helps even without being asked. My father is so giving that he finds it difficult to understand why people wouldn't help when he knows they can, sometimes it hurts him deeply. 
Lessons of love, friendship, gratitude, passion for life, pagiging makulit -- that's what I got from my father. No material riches but wealth that money can't buy. 
Today is his birthday. He doesn't have Facebook, but I want to let everybody to know how special my father is. If he had finished high school and gone to college, he would have been an architect and engineer or even an inventor. Heck, he made all our furniture, made his own electric stove and even an electric oven for Nanay. 
 I wish my Tatay good health, and I wish many many many more years with him and Nanay. Tatay, happy birthday! We love you!" 
It has been my habit to dedicate a post for him every year on his birthday, but on my other blog. You can see one HERE and more of his parents HERE and HERE

If there's one thing your father had taught you by example, what is it? Please share. Let's give our fathers some love. 

*Thanks to a good friend to giving me the idea to feature this in my blog. :) Love you to pieces!

25 comments:

  1. Emotional piece for the family, especially your father...awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh diva, isang pagkahabng post na ito hehehe. You are such a loving daughter sis! And oh,m a great friend to have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, thanks for the idea. and you, too!

      Delete
  3. I haven't grown up with my father because Mama and Papa got separated when i was just 2 yr old, and the rest is history. But if there's one thing he taught me is to know how to stand on your own and be strong to face life adversities because you are on your own...

    Happy birthday to your Tatay, sis! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's one great gift, rhainnes. To be able to stand on one own feet is something that I wish my kids would be able to do when the time comes. You did fine, sis.

      Delete
  4. yes, this is really an emotional piece for your father. Appreciating him with love and care. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure that your Tatay knows how much you care for him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, happy birth anniversary to your Tatay sis. I pray for more celebrations of life and good health.

    My dad was a very soft spoken and a man of few words kind of guy. He barely showed his emotions nor affection but would always ask my mom if something was bothering his kids. He would stand at the back and observe and we're surprised to find out that he knew so much.

    I remember him giving me his words of advice when things were rough at times and during those moments I realized how wise he was.

    I miss my dad. He's been gone for 7 years now and each day does not pass without me saying my prayers that he is okay wherever he is and that he is happy too.

    Dads need to be celebrated too as they have a big contribution in our lives. To our dads, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet naman you. Hope my kids send me similar birthday notes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they will, Papaleng and I'm sure they'll say much much more about you that I could ever say about my father. Sa sense of humor na lang papaleng, kulang na ang isang post, ahaha. ")

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday to your father, learning and value the traits we have learn from them is a life time to cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Belated Happy Birthday to your dad. It’s great reading happy memories with our father. Aw! I miss my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. belated happy birthday to your father, this is such a beautiful post, but I know even if he does not read this he knows how much you appreciate him for the person you have become because of his good modeling. my father taught me by example a lot that has helped me become what I am also today, however, if I have to choose only one, then, it would be living humbly in simple life, taking joy in simple delights around us that are free blessed to us boy our loving and generous God and Father, it's all up to us to take HIS gifts of priceless HAPPINESS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was in tears as I read remembering my dad who has now left this world. I would love to meet your dad and look into his face and eyes. There are angels on Earth disguised as human and from your words I feel he is one. Happy birthday to him and hugs for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're father will be delighted to know all this. You're such a sweet daughter. Why don't you print it and give it to him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a great idea len. why haven't i thought of that. i'll print this and the others, too.

      Delete
  13. This is really touching. Did you at least let him read this so he'll know how much you appreciate him? I am admittedly a father's girl and I learned a lot from him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This reminds me of my dad, I miss him, his malambing and stern ways....Bless his soul :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww! brought tears to my eyes Sis :-) Happy birthday to your Tatay, you are one lucky girl to have a sweet Tatay like him. Please give your Tatay a hug for me, will you please? My Papa went to heaven and I can never hug him :-(

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am teary-eyed....

    My November 1 post (at progressiveparenting.info) is also about my father but unlike this, it was of his death anniversary. I looked up to and at my father as the humblest and kindest man I have ever known. Too bad he is not around anymore to have my daughters know him. You are lucky and blessed to still have yours, sis. Cherish the time you still get to spend with him and your Nanay. They will be great memories you will bring with you forever. Happy birthday to your Tatay! <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are raised so well by your parents sis, I am sure that they are so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a very touching post. Happy Birthday to your tatay.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you everyone for all your thoughts. I cannot thank you enough for all your kind words and greetings. I realize now that it's really important for me to have him read this and you have given me ideas on how to do that. Thank you again and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  20. HI Mai! I am so late! My apologies! I've read this on FB and I was deeply moved. It brought tears to my eyes. Belated happy birthday to your Tatay! He must be very proud of what you have become!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit! I appreciate all your comments!