Nov 27, 2013

Flags Of Nations

 

The flags of nations. My boys and their classmates made them in the last week of October as a way to celebrate United Nations Day. Instead of having a United Nations Day program starting with a parade like other schools do, they just had a few activities lined up to celebrate UN Day, one of them was making paper flags. 

At first, I found these flags cute. But Typhoon Haiyan struck and these flags became much much more than cute. These photos became much more meaningful in my eyes and I saw what the words 'United Nations' really mean. Ever since I was a kid, we'd been celebrating it and we know what it means, but this month, with the outpouring of love and support from many countries, I saw the essence of  unity, in action. There was one goal, and that goal is to help, to share, to uplift people from the dreadful situation that they are in. Now, I cannot look at these flags anymore without being teary-eyed and thankful, thankful for all the nations that gave a helping hand, thankful for the spirit of kindness and selflessness. And my belief that there is still good in mankind and all is not lost has been reaffirmed. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes it is very meaningful! Unfortunately, united nation is not being celebrated here.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit! I appreciate all your comments!