Mar 2, 2013

A Glimpse Of Me: Thoughts on Retirement

The kids are growing and hubby and I know there will come a time when they will be leaving our nest and will be venturing out into the world on their own. We can only hope that we'd be able to train them well enough on how to face the challenges of life, so they can breeze through it with happy hearts.

 No, I'm not looking forward to retiring yet. It's too early for that. I, in fact,would like to freeze this moment in time. These are the best days of my life; the past two years had been the best years, with a four-year-old, a first grader and soon to be teenager. Everyday is a joy (and of course some days are horrible) but it's amazing to be in this stage of motherhood. I'm alway amazed, dumbfounded, and oftentimes, hysterically laughing over the words that come out of my four-year-old's mouth. I'm always please and proud of my schooling kids' achievements. And the hugs and kisses are unlimited. But soon, my two younger ones wouldn't want to be kissed anymore, like my almost teenager of a son. They wouldn't want to be hugged anymore and wouldn't be afraid of the dark anymore. I will miss these days, I know. 

When the kids have graduated and have their own jobs, they would want to have a place and family of their own. And when that time comes, hubby and I would be left alone again, like we were when we're just starting out as newly weds. I know we should be looking at  retirement options and such right now to help us in our golden years. Hubby already have an pension plan that he's diligently paying every quarter but I have nothing except for my SSS which I haven't been paying for years now. I would need to look on how to continue paying that and look at other options.

I've heard about annuity from a friend who suddenly turned financial adviser sometime ago but I did not pay attention. The sound of the word annuity itself scares me, I don't know anything about it. So, I had to look it up over the net. I found some really good fixed annuity web site explaining the intricate and complicated details of annuities and its different types. There's still so much to take in right now and I will still have to study the options. My head is bursting with information overload, but good thing is, there's still a lot of time to read and study. One thing's for sure, if I'd be getting into all these investment plans and retirement plans, I would surely need reliable, trustworthy professionals to guide me through it.

For now, my interest is in the present, where I'm living my life to the fullest. I have been blessed with parents who are so independent they wouldn't ask or take money from their children, or even live with their children even how much we persuade them to. When the time comes, I would like to be like my parents, independent and empowered. And the way I see it, I can only be like that if I plan my retirement years well, starting now. Who was it that said, when's the best time to plant a 100 year old tree? The best time is now.

3 comments:

  1. "People always live forever when there's an annuity paid them" - that's what I remember the moment I spotted the word annuity :)

    Here for Food Friday but couldn't find your post. I return a visit though. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always best to plan ahead! have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so blessed indeed to have such loving parents sis, I am sure that you are like them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit! I appreciate all your comments!