Jan 11, 2013

New Best Friend: Google Images

My kiddos' new best friend is Google Search. Everytime they hear something new -- a new word, a new character, a new plant at Plants versus Zombies or in any movies they're watching -- they would ask me, "What's that, mama?" Some words are easy to explain but the thing is, they want to see pictures. They would pick a word in random and we'll look it up in Google Images.

Some of the words we have Googled are swimming pools, court - as in basketball court, Power Rangers (although they've watched this almost every day), dinosaurs, comets, asteroids (Sam's lesson in Science), cigarettes and cigars (and this is because their favorite person, Mama Tess, smokes). The discussion of cigarettes is a long one since I had to explain why they can't smoke yet (or never I hope) while their Mama Tess do. We clicked on some websites just to see different kinds and I noticed that websites of some smoke shops specifically states that you have to eighteen in order to smoke or buy from their stocks. The discussion would then lead to why they can't and shouldn't and that's another Google search. :D

The latest word that I was asked by Simon to Google is the Tagalog word 'Torotot", meaning horn or trumpet. I don't know what brought about this question. But it must be because it being New Year, he must have heard this word from one of the TV programs. Without thinking, because I was working that time, I Googled the word "Torotot", not even translating to English. And what came up were few of the friendly children's horn or trumpets. But even more photos were that of posters of the Rated R movie Torotot starring Katya Santos and others in 2008. I totally forgot about that! Good thing I was able to close the screen before he saw anything he shouldn't see. 

Lesson learned: Google Images is fun and oh so informative, but we - parents -  must have  presence of mind  and foresight before we click on the word 'Search' because we don't know where that search will lead us.

8 comments:

  1. Olá, vim agradecer sua visita ao meu espaço... estarei acompanhando seus cliques para o desafio sombras de domingo. Um abraço!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks vane! see you again on shadow shot sunday!

      Delete
  2. Google is definitely a great help for all of us. My daughter don't need any help from when researching online but I make sure that she is not searching anything that I don't approve of lol. Kaya I watches her every time she goes online, yun nga lang pag nasa school, I can't monitor what they do online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google search is best friend of all - young as well as old. You have a nice blog here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha! lalo na sa youtube pag mga videos agad ng movie ni Katya ang lalabas pag torotot ang sinearch.

    namiss ko magbloghop! yey nadalaw din kita ulit sa wakas. and I love your new template and header! very easy to the eyes. nainlove talaga ko promise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks rona! hope your recovering well. coming from you who's a designer, i'm flattered. the kit comes from misty allen. she's great!

      Delete
  5. I run to google too each time the kiddos ask me something I do not know hahaha, these days information is easier to access with technology..I remember running for my dictionary and thesaurus when I was in grade school...then came too the encyclopedias in high school...those didn't contain explicit information unlike in the internet now where our kids could view things they are not supposed to see yet so indeed our supervision is warranted...happy week to you :) thanks for visiting my page...joining your site :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. not just for our kids but for everyone as well.. let us be thankful for the existence of google search

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit! I appreciate all your comments!