Feb 28, 2010

8.8 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Chile, Expected to Generate Tsunami In Hawaii, Russia, Japan, and Philippines

I was logged on my online job and accessing Facebook on the side, when I saw a post by a friend. I was asleep the whole day of Saturday Manila so I was relly clueless on what's going on in the world.   While I was sleeping,  Chile has been hit by an 8.8 magnitude earthquake.  This sent chills through my spine.

I checked out CNN  for the latest development. Below is just one of the videos of the massive destruction.



An earthquake of this magnitude is expected to generate a destructive tsunami. As per CNN, "The earliest estimated arrival for a wave that could affect Hawaii is 11:19 a.m. (4:19 p.m. ET), according to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center." 

It's 4:21am, Manila, and I'm really praying that everyone in Hawaii will be safe or that the damage will be minimal. Philippines is one of the countries that is under Tsunami warning, together with Japan and Russia. At this point, prayer and preparation means everything. I'm not sure what this all means. I'm not sure if it will hit Manila. But just to give an idea here's a map of the Pacific Region as copied from the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center 

 
Number 1 is Chile, 2 Japan, 3 is Russia.  Hawaii is in that big blue ocean, and Philippines is right there below Japan. 

I'm scared. First, it was Haiti, now it's Chile, and earthquake of lesser magnitudes has been occuring all over the world intermittently for the past few months. Mindanao, at the southern part of  Manila was hit with an earthquake, early Saturday morning.

I had to stop whatever I was doing and hugged my sleeping hubby and boys.

Here's another video from CNN. I can't forget what the lady in the interview said. She said, it's close to watching 2012, like it's the end of the world. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your visit! I appreciate all your comments!