Jan 11, 2010

The 6 Year Molar

I had Basti checked by his pedia last Saturday afternoon. So the wisdom tooth falling off has nothing to do with his fever and stiff neck. But the culprit is still a tooth. A permanent tooth. The 6 year molar.

The 6 year molar is a permanent tooth that erupts by the time our kids enter grade school. I thought kids’ teeth all start out as wisdom teeth that are eventually replaced by permanent teeth. I was wrong. Apparently, there is such a thing as 6 year molar that does not have any tooth preceding it. Maybe I was not listening to the doctor at the time I had Basti’s permanent filling done, or else why would I think this is a wisdom tooth, when the doctor specifically said the filling will be permanent.

In November, I took Basti to the dentist for a check up since he was complaining that his tooth hurts every time he eats. One of his molars is decaying and so naturally the dentist had a permanent filling put on it.

Two month later, it seems that the cavity is already so deep that the permanent filling did not do any good. Basti has to take antibiotics for 7 days and pain relievers too. The permanent filling was taken off  last Sunday and replaced by temporary filling again until such time we decide on what to do. When he’s all better we can think about considering having a root canal done.

I don’t really like the idea of a root canal. First it’s expensive, at least to me, (I’m just a call center agent trying to make ends meet). It's  9,000 pesos or approximately $183,  and it’s time consuming. We have to go back every week till the process is complete. Not to mention the trauma that Basti might get. Well, that’s just an afterthought. Doctor said the process is painless. But you know, pain is subjective.

I asked the doctor what if we just have a tooth extraction. That, according to him and his dentist wife, is not a good idea. This is a 6 year molar that cannot be replaced and is very important in helping other teeth fall into place. Losing it will affect the other teeth, making them crooked and loss of it may even lead to loss of other teeth.

Hayz, I’m at lost. I wish I had paid more attention to Basti’s dental care.  How can I? I'm not around in the mornings and evenings.  Now I learned my lesson, I swear, this won’t happen to Simon and Sam. Bad mother. Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your visit! I appreciate all your comments!