Jan 15, 2009

Simon's Hib Shot

Simon had his Hib or Anti Meningitis shot this morning. He did not cry as much as he did on the other vaccines that he had before. The pedia said he won’t even have fever because of this. Thank God. At least it won’t be a sleepless night for his Mama Susan tonight.

The Hib or the Haemophilus influenzae type b vaccine prevents diseases caused by Haemophilus influenzae type b bacteria reducing the risk of meningitis in children. That’s quite a mouthful. I got that from the leaflet given by the doctor, hehe. I don’t exactly understand all of it; I just know that with this vaccine Simon will have less chance of getting meningitis. As far as I know, meningitis is when water gets to the brain, and that is something I don’t want my kids to have. Basti and Sam had this vaccine also but I never asked questions. Now I understand better.


(Ooopss, I stand corrected. I found a really good definition of meningitis on kidshealth.org and found out that meniningitis have nothing to do with water being in the brain. Now wherever did I get that idea? Must be thinking about hydrocephalus. Yeah, stupid me, haha.

Anyway, according to kidshealth.org, Meningitis is an inflammation of the meninges, the membranes that cover the brain and spinal cord, caused by bacteria and viruses, and can spread, in some cases, to the meninges due to head trauma or by local infection. The vacinne that Simon had is for a certain bacteria, the Haemophilus influenzae type b bacteria, and meningitis brought about by this type bacteria has decreased over time due to the vaccine. For more information about this,please go to kidshealth.org.)