Jan 14, 2009

Basti, the Cub Scout

Basti had their Boy Scout Investiture last week of November. How time flies. My little baby is now a Boy Scout, err, a Cub Scout. He'd been reciting the Boy Scout Pledge for weeks and excitedly went to schools on Saturdays prior to the Investiture. The first time he announced that he's already a Boy Scout, he was so proud of himself. He said "Mama, I'm a Boy Scout. And I'm a Quarter Master!" And I asked him, "What's a Quarter Master" And he proudly said, heads up, "I'm the keeper of things!” In Tagalog, tagabantay ng gamit. My mother and his Papa smiled, and we laughed about it, happily though, because we saw that he was so happy to have such a responsibility. He may be the youngest in the team, if that's what they call it, so it was only natural that he'll be the keeper. So, for some Saturdays back in November, he forgot about going to his Lola's house to play computer games and went to school instead. 

This Boy Scout thing did him good. He so badly wanted to be a policeman and a soldier and we told him that being a good boy scout is the start of becoming a good soldier. One day, he sadly told me that he's not a Boy Scout pa pala. I asked him what he meant by that and he said "I'm not a Boy Scout ... yet. I'm still a Cub Scout". I told him well, it's just a name but it's the same thing. He'll be a Boy Scout someday soon and he'd better be a good one.

At the Investiture, we, parents, saw that the kids were enjoying themselves. There were also Star Scouts and they were so cute and so proud of themselves. These were the kids in preshool. They took their oath and it was so short that they were done reciting even before we knew it. The Scout Master said that the Star Scouts only responsibilities are to obey their parents and love God above all else (or something to that effect, if my memory serves me right).

Anyway, Basti and the rest of the boys recited their much longer pledge, sang songs, and lit candles. It was a very solemn affair and the kids behaved nicely, except for a moment when someone sung "Happy Birthday to you!" while the candle lights were being blown off. Everyone laugh except the Scout Master and the Principal.

So at this point, I'll be adding a new link to Basti's most frequented site: The BSP Site.