Nov 2, 2008

Hippie Happy Halloween!

Halloween used to be just another day for me. I did not even like it a bit. I hated worrying over on what to wear and where to get costumes for Halloween parties. I never got to enjoy celebrating the Halloween season before as a child, as a teenager and even as an adult. Until I had my children.

Halloween has suddenly become something that I look forward to because of the kids. Basti loves to listen to scary stories and loves watching horror movies and this is the time for storytelling and scaring. And the best thing about Halloween is going trick-or-treating.

We started going to SM for Trick-or-Treat when Basti was 4. Actually, I and my husband discovered the fun of trick-or-treating at the Alabang Town Center when Basti turned 3. We went there to celebrate Basti's 3rd birthday and to see a Winnie The Pooh show. Winnie the Pooh is Basti's favorite cartoon character back then. He has gone a long way from the very gentle Winnie the Pooh to the violent Power Rangers, which he watches everyday now.

We enjoyed the show and Basti had his picture taken in a Tigger costume, but the highlight of the day is Basti's first trick-or- treat experience. Basti enjoyed going from store to store asking for candies, although he does not understand yet why he's being given candies. I was the one who had to say trick-or-treat. At first he's hesitant, but he got the hang of it when he saw other children doing the same, in different costumes. There were so many children, mostly from Ayala Alabang and surrounding vicinity. The good thing was that the stores had plenty of candies to give, in large quantity for every child, so we were able to take home a lot of candies.

The next year on his 4th birthday his Ninang Ning bought him a Superman costume. That Superman costume is Sam's now. On his fifth birthday, we made a homemade costume, one that he wore at his nursery school Halloween Parade. We just added in a mask and he's fine with that. Last year he got a creepy Reaper Halloween costume courtesy of his ninang Ning again (or is it from his Ate karen?).

We went to SM as we used to because that is the nearest mall from home. I hurried from work so I would be there around 11am. Most stores in SM only give a piece of candy per child which is kind of sad but with so many stores to go to, the kids still manage to get their pumpkin baskets full. There are some stores of course that gives a handful of chocolates.

What usually happens is that at 10am they don't have candies yet, it's still early, at 12noon they don't have candies anymore. Trick or treats usually resumes at 2pm. Best time would be 11am or 1pm. We usually go to the customer service area first since they give more than the stores. We just follow the throngs of kids coming in and out of the stores.

And it's the same this year, nothing's changed. We were in at around 12pm. I had to get Basti and Sam there early before it rained. We start going from store to store immediately. Time is gold and I wanted to start early so I could sleep early. You know, call center duties call. But no luck. They started giving out candies at 1pm after the Halloween Costume Parade, which we did not register for.


(Here are some of the pics -- sorry for the date formatting --this was on Oct 31st not 25th. Sam did not want to put on the Superman costume. There's Basti with Doc Oc and what seems to be Dyosa. Basti and Sam at SM. Basti putting on the Devil's Horn given by Mama's officemate Nov 1st. And there's Basti with his stash.)

We stayed in SM Sucat for just 2 hours. We were home by 230pm. Sam sadly did not enjoy third activity. He got afraid of the kids in monsters costumes and got bewildered with massive throng of kids in costumes. There were so many kids (mommies) walking, running around, shoving each other for goodies. I was not even able to take that many pictures due to fear that I will lose one of them in the crowd. Sam cried and wanted to go home. He kept pulling me to the main entrance. Basti was furious coz he wanted to get more treats. We had no choice but to go home or else Sam will bawl his way out of SM. Basti managed to get his basket half-filled.

Last year, we were there at around 12pm. Not a good time for kids. Most of stores did not have any candies to give anymore and the kids leave feeling dejected, rejected, and sad. There is one thing that I learned though from one mommy last year. Not wanting her kids to feel rejected and understanding that goodies do run out, one mommy approached a saleslady from a certain store before her kids could come in the door with their pumpkin baskets and asked the saleslady they still have candies for ‘trick or treat", The saleslady said " E ma;am ala na po memya na po ulit 1pm. And the mom said, okay lang ... and then gave the saleslady a handful of candies, "Pede pakiabot naman to sa mga anak ko...para hindi naman sila malungkot.”. And so when the kids came in, and excitedly shouted "trick or treat" the saleslady gave them the candies and the kids hurried off bouncing happily. Halloween is a time for kids, trick or treat should be a fun activity for them and we, as parents, should help in making that possible just like what this one mom did.

Meanwhile at work, we had a fabulous time with our account's Halloween costume contest. I never ever participated in anything like this coz like I said I hate worrying over on what to wear. This time however I participated actively. Our team gave our full cooperation and each one made it a point to stick to the theme. Out theme was Hippies/60's era. It was fun looking for hippie clothing. I found a hippie blouse at an ukay ukay in Baclaran for only 40pesos and shades at 30pesos. My bestfriend who is a hippie at heart lend me all my accessories like the wooden bracelets, earth tones necklaces, vest, and the headband which I think is a masterpiece. My officemate Maridel lend me a green flowery pants. And voila, I looked like a true blue hippie.
My officemates also did their best to the point of putting on wigs to complete the look. Maridel wore a sexy 60's look and she was the star of the night, she surprised us all. It was a wonderful Halloween Costume Contest. We laughed at ourselves and had fun posing for the camera.